Sweaty Eddie made an appearance on CNBC to talk about the evil “assualt weapons” Once again, our esteemed Governor made it clear that he has absolutely no factual base for his assault against our weapons.
“It’s nuts for ordinary citizens to go out and buy assault weapons,” Gov. Ed Rendell, D-Pa., told CNBC. “Assault weapons are difficult to operate, they jam easily. If you want a gun to protect your home it’s the last thing you should have.”
Let me tell you how difficult my AR-15 is to operate Ed.
My 14 year old daughter can load, fire, and change mags. Over 1000 rounds have gone through my AR to date and I haven’t had a single malfunction or jam. It’s easier to operate, and has less recoil than my Mossberg 500 12 gauge shotgun allowing anyone in my family to use it if necessary. And, on top of all that, the AR is much more accurate, allowing me to make precision shots, not having to dump 15 shots or more as our Law Enforcement so regularly do in shootings.
Another point Rendell tries to make is his belief that “assault weapons” are short-ranged weapons designed to spray bullets. Look, an AR or AK platform firearm are designed with rifle caliber rounds. I’ll put this in terms that even an idiot like Rendell can understand.
Rifles shoot really, really, really far. A .223 rifle platform is effective to 500 meters. An 7.62×39 AK platform gun can reach out to 800 or so meters. That is not a short ranged weapon. These guns are precision tool.
Body armor so readily available on the internet, the chance of a home owner facing a criminal that they won’t be able to stop with a revolver, or shot gun for that matter, is a real possibility. If someone decides to target my family for a home invasion, they’d better be wearing Marine issued flak jackets because for all the reasons above, my AR is my go-to home defense weapon.
Let’s look at some facts regarding Rendell’s described “assault weapons.”
Assault weapons: fact or fiction?
A. Definition of real “assault weapons”
* According to one of the preeminent experts in the field of firearms, Dr. Edward Ezell, a key characteristic of a true assault weapon is that it must have the capability of “full automatic fire.” Similarly, the U.S. Defense Department defines real assault weapons as “selective-fire weapons” — meaning that these guns can fire either automatically or semi-automatically.
* Anti-gun pundits in recent years have managed to define “assault weapons” as semi-automatic firearms which only externally resemble a military firearm. Dr. Edward Ezell notes that true assault weapons “were designed to produce roughly aimed bursts of full automatic fire” — something which a semi-automatic firearm does not do.
B. Semi-automatic “assault rifles” are no different than many hunting rifles
* Officer William McGrath: “These [semi-automatic assault rifles] are little different than the semi-automatic hunting rifles that have been on the market since before World War II. The main difference between an assault rifle and a semi-automatic hunting rifle is that the assault rifle looks more ‘military.'”
* “The term ‘assault’ rifle is really a misnomer as a true assault rifle is a selective fire weapon capable of switching from fully automatic to semi automatic and back with the flip of a lever.”
* “The charge that the assault rifle holds more rounds than a ‘legitimate’ hunting rifle shows either a lack of knowledge or a deliberate twisting of the facts, as 10, 20 and 30 round magazines for ‘legitimate’ hunting rifles have been on the market for decades without the world coming to an end.”
C. So-called assault weapons have never been the “weapon of choice” for criminals
(All of the following figures pre-date the “assault weapons” ban passed by Congress in 1994)
* Police View: Over 100,000 police officers delivered a message to Congress in 1990 stating that only 2% to 3% of crimes are committed using a so-called “assault weapon.”
Even the anti-gun groups know that the “assault weapon” crime mania is bogus.
The National Institute for Justice ( The research arm of The Dept of Justice ) and The CDC have both issued reports that the recently expired so called ” Assualt Weapons ” Ban had absolutley ZERO effect on violent crime or shootings while it was in place .
Josh Sugarmann , executive director of the Violence Policy Center ( a rabidly anti gun special interest group ) has been publicly quoted as admitting their tactic of taking advantage of the general publics ignorance and confusion regarding what is a true assualt weapon ( one that fires on fully automatic ) and a look a like SEMI only rifle that only LOOKS like a military weapon but functions totally different , in order to further their agenda . See the quote below .
Assault weapons— The weapons’ menacing looks, coupled with the public’s confusion over fully automatic machine guns versus semi-automatic assault weapons—anything that looks like a machine gun is assumed to be a machine gun—can only increase the chance of public support for restrictions on these weapons. In addition, few people can envision a practical use for these weapons.”
-Josh Sugarmann, Assault Weapons and Accessories in America
The fact of the matter is this, the 1994 Assault Weapons ban did absolutely NOTHING to lessen gun violence in our country. During those 10 years of the ban, nothing changed and since we are all so about change now, why bother changing what didn’t change anything before?
Please watch the video from CNBC and see Rendell make an absolute ass out of himself (that never changes). And for all of you that take our Constitution seriously and support the Second Amendment, please be aware that Tuesday, 21 April, there will be a 2A Rally at the PA capitol.
Link to the Second Amendment Rally
Eddie went national now too.